PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leaving helicopter with engine/rotors running - merged threads
Old 3rd Oct 2016, 22:53
SASless

Received 517 Likes on 215 Posts
IF one was to stop for a second and count the emotional, financial and operational cost of an accident happening, leaving a cab running would never be an option but time is money, people cost money and so to hell with certain rules - too much bother, I guess.

Do you think the CAA, EASA, FAA, and the rest of the Alphabet Gang have divine wisdom in their writing of the "Rules"?

You reckon every "Rule" is universal truth?

Even the Authorities grant dispensation to Pilots to violate those very "Rules" at times.

If an Operation such as we are discussing has been, is being done, and will continue to be done literally millions of times with absolutely no problems....just like many other common practices in Aviation....just why should it be so unsafe in your view?

Do you analyze the few accidents that occur during these events to determine what actually caused the accident and then assign the blame based upon that?

Question for you....the Super Puma (or whatever it was) that flew into the Water in the Shetlands.....did you call for the banning of cloud break procedures or non-precision approaches ?

This leaving the cockpit thing is exactly the same in concept.

If IMC near terra firma....I pay attention to my flight path and height above the surface....if I leave the cockpit and leave the Helicopter running...I make sure the controls are secure and the aircraft is stable and it is the best thing to do.

Aviation is nothing but a Risk Management Exercise....where all Risks cannot be removed without putting an end to the aviating part of the exercise.

There is nothing Darwinian about that.