PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2016, 22:29
ricardian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Reader123
My father having served in Burma in the RAF during the war, I have found the descriptions of day-to-day life by Danny fascinating. (I've mentioned this before about n thousand posts ago...) BB's posts too are illuminating.

As mentioned previously, my father was an engineer officer, "on gliders" - about all I knew. I found, however, the other month, his RAF "CV". November and December 1944 were spent "Proceeding to India Command", and come January 1945 he was "FO O/C No 30 Glider Servicing Echelon." (Where he remained until October 1945.)

But what gliders can he have been servicing? Who was using gliders in Burma in 1945? The Chindits used some gliders, both to get in and to evacuate casualties, but otherwise I haven't found much evidence of glider use in the Far East. If you've never heard of glider snatching, have a watch of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgu5yh0HkgY

But the Chindits weren't doing anything in 1945. It was unpleasant enough that he never really mentioned anything other than a few funny stories, so he must have been doing something. Gliders sitting there don't take much servicing, surely. And they're not the sort of thing you practise with; casualty rates would be too high. And there was a war on too; inefficient as the forces could be with manpower they wouldn't have had dozens of men sitting around doing nothing for *that* long, would they?

I've just acquired a copy of RS Sansome's "The Bamboo Workshop, The History of the RAF Repair and Salvage Units India/Burma 1941-46." Which is useful for local colour, but I'm not expecting to find the "glider" word in there. Truly the forgotten corner of the forgotten war!
No specific mention of gliders but who knows - perhaps they were part of this enormous armada that was to be used if the 2 atomic bombs failed. (I posted a link to this about 18 months ago)