PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tell us the story of your first solo
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2016, 20:51
n5296s

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
My first solo was quite memorable. It had taken me longer to solo than I thought it should and I was getting quite depressed about it. At the time I was still splitting my time between the US and Europe, and was about to go back to Europe for quite a while. So I figured if I didn't solo before I went back, I'd just drop the whole idea.

We did a couple of patterns at Hayward - which is a tricky airport because it is so close to Oakland. Pattern altitude is 600 feet and it feels like you can read all the little instructions - "no step" and so on - on the 737s and 320s flying over your head. It handles a mix of traffic, normal light GA, lots of bizjets, and also it's the base for a lot of the ENG, law enforcement and so on helis in the area.

Then my instructor said "OK, you can solo, but only one time round" - it was very close to sunset. So off I went.

As I was close to touchdown, tower came on and said "make this a go around, jet on short final behind you". But I'd been told to do only one pattern! So I used the "u" word for the first time ever. As I turned off the runway, I saw the bizjet within feet of touchdown. Tower called and said "thanks for the quick exit."

When I got back to my instructor he was a nervous wreck - he was the nervous type. He'd of course heard and seen the whole thing.

Compared to that, I don't even remember my first heli solo.