PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tell us the story of your first solo
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2016, 06:52
Parkway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tell us the story of your first solo

I'm sure this thread has been done before but I always enjoy hearing about people's first solo experience! Tell us what yours was like, or even better post a video if you have it.
My first solo was earlier this year (I just completed my license a few weeks ago!)
I had been waiting a while for weather to clear up. I knew I was ready for my solo, I didn't get the surprise a lot of people get when the instructor all of a sudden jumps out and sends them off solo. My instructor kinda had to give it away because we needed the crosswind to be less than 10 knots etc for my next lesson, kinda obvious what was going to happen.
So I finally got an afternoon that was good, did a few circuits with the instructor then off I went. It was just before sunset and the air was cool with about 5knots of wind. I climbed quite a bit faster than my normal VY and still had an impressive rate of climb.. I had been told it would be like that but it still felt like I was pitching up too much!! I got to downwind and looked around after doing my checks and that was the moment it clicked.. I looked at that empty seat and thought "holy s@$t! I'm flying a bloody plane!"
I came in a bit high and fast, did the usual trick of landing on the left, but all went well. Such a vivid memory and something I'll cherish forever.
Here's the video, note my lack of right rudder on takeoff and landing haha. Also when the instructor got out I was so keen to get going I nearly started taxiing without calling ground :/ oops!

Last edited by Parkway; 6th Oct 2016 at 06:01.