PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ju88 shot down Kings Somborne 21 August 1940
Old 2nd Oct 2016, 17:49
Icare9

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks all for your contributions.
I have the first 8 volumes of Luftwaffe Crash Archives on order but don't get back to the UK until mid November from our place in Mojacar.
RD's description isn't too far removed from fact, and I'm fairly sure that the photo of a smouldering Ju 88 in a mustard field with RAF pilots walking away includes Bob Doe who did visit the scene, being not all that far from King's Somborne.

The 4 crew who died were identified but after they were removed by Army lorry, no more is known about them.
At present I have no way of linking these 4 to the 4 buried the next day at Chartham.
234 were in 10 Group, Manston/Chartham was 11 Group, so to find that they were taken almost 200 miles from Hampshire to Kent is the puzzle.
Another Luftwaffe burial took place in Chartham for A Hoffman, who was also taken from there to Cannock.
However, both an Alfred and an Andreas Hoffman were both killed on 15 September, so which one?
It does establish that Luftwaffe dead were buried at Chartham, but why there so far from Hampshire?
Hopefully Chartham Parish Council who have responsibility for the cemetery may have some answers in their archives, but it's a big ask 76 years on.....