PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 Auto thrust
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2001, 21:25
AffirmBrest

Thumbs up

Doc:
Oh, Okay - forgot about Alpha Floor, and follow your computer logic. Agree with your last post (I think...). Also got FAC and FWC confused...

SB - The aeroplane has to be able to meet climb performance with FLX thrust on 1 eng - that is one of the parameters which determine your allowable FLX. There is debate whether to apply TOGA on the live engine if 1 fails:

FOR appying TOGA:
1. better climb perf
2. faster accel/clean up

AGAINST applying TOGA:
1. want to look after live engine! both engines are usually 'identical', built at the same time, serviced at the same time by the same people etc. - so why has the first one failed?
2. Control issue (though you mention that)

My current philosophy is: if ROC low (2-300fpm), or big mountain/crane etc in the way (OCP SID), go TOGA. If aircraft is otherwise making the required performance to 1500' then why bother?

Horses for courses, really.

Oh, and following on from your last point: I have a feeling that MCT is typically a lower EPR than FLX. Don't know for sure though. And as for automatic thrust/yaw changes causing a problem - flying manually on 1 engine with the A/THR in is not actually that difficult, though I prefer using MAN THR for the reason mentioned.

------------------
...proceeding below Decision Height with CAUTION...

[This message has been edited by AffirmBrest (edited 12 February 2001).]