PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Swing the lamp, pull up a sandbag.
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2016, 21:37
SASless

Received 516 Likes on 215 Posts
Another American and I were tasked to ferry a 58T to Redhill from Aberdeen.

Weather was Romeo Sierra (polite way of saying Rat ****)....and as we neared the London Metropolitan Area it became apparent that my short Greek friend with lots of time with Air America....was having difficulty placing us on the Map. My cue was when I saw him rotate it two full Rev's trying to make sense of it all.

As we were strangers to this onshore UK flying stuff....and the map for that part of the UK is all Yellow with lots of scribbling and symbols that meant not much to us....I being the PIC started getting a bit nervous.

I keyed the intercom and asked Steve if he had any idea where we were....and all I saw was the back of his head as he was peering intently over his shoulder at something as we flew by.

His response gave me pause....."Nope...not at all but it is Three O'Clock!".

We had just whizzed by Big Ben which I knew was not good news.

What was good news is at least I knew where we were...and how to find Redhill from there.

Shortly after landing at Redhill....we were told rather harshly to report to Mr. Bristow's Office on the double. At that point....I wished I had spent the last hour or so updating my Resume as I felt I would be needing it after getting to meet the Boss Fellah.

When we walked in...demonstrating what Meek, Humble, and very Concerned looked like.....upon introducing ourselves....the Old Man growled...."Two Bloody Yanks....I might have known!".

He then went on to inquire if we knew just how many phone calls he had from the CAA because of us two and opined he wasted enough of his time with them without any assistance from the likes of us.

He then smiled and said...."Well....every body knows your Names now! Get out of here and get back to work!".