PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MH17 Update
Thread: MH17 Update
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2016, 12:44
Lonewolf_50

Received 406 Likes on 252 Posts
Am I on Jet Blast or R&N? The investigation report, and its value (or lack thereof) are of interest and on topic, but the launch into politics is bound to take a potentially useful discussion about this tragedy and turn it into noise and rubbish.

I take the efforts of the Netherlands investigators seriously, and I believe they do as well. That doesn't overlook that political pressure may have had an influence on both the investigation and on findings. As professionals, contaminating an investigation is bad for the whole industry, see the Egyptian government's take on flight 990 and the Malaysia governments obfuscation on MH 370.

It is in the industry's interest that solid investigations with well grounded methods are undertaken. It is also in the passengers' interests, in the long term, if such investigations improve the safety of air travel.

If we can confine our observations to the latest report and the substance of the investigation, we'll be better off and this thread will not degenerate into noise.

I realize that an event like this will evoke strong feelings in the industry. Having an airliner shot down by a missile by an armed force when it is simply going about its business (KAL 007, Airbus over Persian Gulf/USS Vincennes) shatters our belief that international travel is safe and reliable. It's enough effort to get the operations and safety right without third parties firing live ordnance at passenger liners.