PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Swing the lamp, pull up a sandbag.
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2016, 02:19
SASless

Received 509 Likes on 211 Posts
Tehran international Airport.....1978....bunch of Bristow guys headed down country to our Bush Operations. Chronic shortage of Eggs in the Bush demanded innovative approaches to importing Cackle Fruit.

Some Genius decided the use of sterile (but empty) whisky bottles, a funnel, and dozens of cracked eggs would work a treat and if six bottles were tied together with a rope handle....it was the Cat's Meow.

On the test run I was elected to be the guy to carry the thing through Security.

Ali, the Iranian Security Guard who spoke less English than I did Farsi...which at that point consisted of at least two words maybe....stopped me and showed great interest in the egg filled bottles....and said "Whisky?".

I shook my Head in what I assumed was a bit of Farsi body language and said "No!".

He repeated himself.....I did as well and added the comment "Eggs!".

He persisted and said yet again "Whisky!"...to be reminded another time "Eggs!".

He frowned as only armed Goons can do....and said...."Drink!".

Thinking that trying drink from one of those bottles would be akin to drinking from a Spittoon....meaning once you take the first sip there is not stopping until it was empty....I declined.

At which point the Guard went back to the starting point and said....."Whisky!".

It took a a concerted All Hands effort but in the end...we departed with all the Eggs.