PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 26yr old Captain - 19yr old Co-Pilot
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2016, 23:22
dr dre

Received 357 Likes on 196 Posts
Its annoying that the PR at easyjet didn't research their claim. She's clearly not the youngest Airline Captain. The internet shows that in a fairly quick internet search and so many posts by people on PPRuNe are offering up names airline and dates, to prove it. The CNN article at the beginning doesn't differentiate with her being female it just says "Their employer, the British carrier Easyjet, believes McWilliams has become the world's youngest commercial airline captain" is it wrong that this frustrates me? I always felt accuracy was an important part of aviation, granted maybe not Airline PR.

Aren't Easyjet going through an industrial troubles with their pilots ATM? These articles may just be an attempt at good PR to focus attention away from those troubles.
To me this story is more a story about the failure of modern journalism. Any reporter worth their salt could have spent 10 minutes on Google and easily discovered that a 26 year old isn't the world's "youngest commercial airline captain". But in a bid to cut costs newsrooms have been slashed, and resources are limited. Reporters have basically become corporate PR writers, just rewriting company press releases instead of checking facts and sources (ie real investigative journalism). And in the world of twitter, where people want information instantly, media companies are in a battle to be the first to get the articles published, regardless of accuracy.