PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2016, 15:01
Mushroom club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sky sports

To answer your question re opportunities to glide WITHIN the cadets the answer is, IMHO, very little if at all. I suspect where you may try and take him depends as much on geography as anything else.

One thing to bear in mind is that whether he goes to a BGA or GSA club they are just that ie. clubs. The VGS organisation was run on military lines with the staff regularly checked by "trappers" from CGS/CFS. In my opinion that gave them a very different feel to a club environment and was an invaluable indoctrination regarding airmanship etc which could be useful if he's contemplating a professional aviation career. Yes I know that is a tad contentious and I am not suggesting that clubs are unsafe just that the mindset is probably different. Not wrong just different.

Which brings me to the VGS staff themselves. What they have needed, but have not received, is anything like the sort of info that one could expect in this digital age. Would it be so difficult to brief them the latest news eg Topcliffe recommencing ops? It seems so and CGB rightly reminds us what the "V" in VGS stands for!

MC