PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trainee heli pilot - need advice
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2016, 14:25
aa777888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lots of experience in those responses. Now hear from a low, low timer

When you are learning to hover, all that stuff your instructors are telling you is just so they've got something to say while they are continuously trying to save your lives and keep the ship in one piece. At best it might distract you enough to stop over-thinking and over-controlling. I'm pretty sure what they are really thinking while this is going on is "Any time now, sweetheart..."

On a more serious note, when I was learning to hover, I noticed two specific issues that hampered me more than anything else. The first was that while I understood that I needed to keep the ship level, I didn't have a good feel for what level looked like in every situation. Reference marks didn't help. The second, and even more difficult issue, was I could move the control in the correct direction and amount to maintain level, but didn't take the movement back out soon enough so that it stopped at level when it got there. I'm pretty sure that the timing of that can't be taught, it just has to eventually figure itself out in your own brain.

Lately I've come to realize, as my instructors have added such things as dollies and other interesting landings to my curriculum (working on my commercial), is that, while you never stop learning, you really, really never stop learning how to hover better.

Don't worry, it will click one day, soon. Then, a few 10's of hours later, you'll hear another, more subtle click, and it will settle in even tighter. And so on.