PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New ATC Documentary on BBC2
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2003, 08:29
radar707

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jack-Oh, civil controllers don't wait until the last minute, we provide a service as do the military controllers, and i don't want this to turn into a civil v military slagging match because we all do the same job, albeit slightly differently.

the fact is that outside CAS, form Scottish, you will only get a RIS, from Glasgow, you will generally get a RAS (again subject to terrain safe level restrictions), my understanding (and it is very limited) from Scottish Mil, you wil get a RAS subject to level and then a RIS.

Outside CAS, anybody can fly with/out a radio or transponder and can do whatever the hell they like.

We controllers have to do our best to stop the aircraft we do and do not KNOW about bumping into each other.

Maybe if more pilots chose to actually call an ATC unit for a service then the less work the Airprox board will have to do.

I will never understand why pilots choose to fly in known areas of high intensity military traffic (Vale of york for example) and not contact a relevant ATC unit. (Is Linton still open???)

Our job is all about safety, inside CAS (A-D) it's fairly easy, E is a class unto it's own and always will be, outside controlled airspace we can only do our best to advise traffic we are working and pass the relevant traffic information or avoiding action depending on the service being provided.

But just how many pilots know the difference between RIS and RAS and their responsibilities.

or for those flying in the Scottish TMA (Class E) are aware that it is technically an unknown environment?????