PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2016, 08:50
Uplinker

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts
I echo Lonewolf and I did thank my SIM TRE and Captain that day. The scenario was the Captain's idea - he is a TRE as well. I am not the only line pilot to have become trapped by this - he said that everyone he has done this to in the SIM have reacted in the same way I did, (apart from the V alpha prot OEB).

I am a normal line pilot with experience of basic turboprops as well as basic jets and of course Airbus. My reaction to this scenario in the SIM was terrible and I am of course very embarrassed, but I had not actually seen this demonstrated, and the lead-up to the event is very subtle. I posted my SIM experience so that other normal line pilots like myself could be made aware of how subtle this can be - I don't think there is enough training in this area.

Vilas you seem to suggest that I SHOULD have heard the "stall stall", but the point I am making is that I am telling you that I didn't, and those poor sods on AF447 obviously didn't either. You might think it is impossible not to hear the spoken warning, but my brain blocked it out, that's what I am telling you. You also suggest I should have a vacation and your implication is a vacation from flying - well that is charming, but no thanks.

I did not have to tell everybody how I up - I could have kept quiet, but I thought it was more important to post my experience for the greater good.

As I said: if ever the speed tapes are doing something that seems even slightly unusual, no matter how slowly or gently they move or how much they might agree with each other : follow the unreliable speed drill. Both tapes may well appear to be perfectly normal and both may seem to indicate the same speed and speed changes.

Be aware that the overspeed alarm may well sound and remember it can be cancelled by using the emergency cancel button; something I temporarily forgot.

Last edited by Uplinker; 30th Sep 2016 at 09:02.