PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Swing the lamp, pull up a sandbag.
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2016, 07:21
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eishhh ....

Never mind the flashers, how about the Nigerian hand signals? There is that one where the left hand is dangled from the open window and simply waggled, meaning "I am about to do something I have not yet decided upon." Fair warning, I guess!

A friend got in trouble with the law when he misread a Lagos Yellow Fever's hand signals. The man pulled him over then to show him first the back of his hand and then the palm of his hand, saying for the back "Dis be green; It mean 'Go,'" and for the palm "Dis be red; It mean 'Stop.'" Explanation given and paid for, my friend then went on his way.

Shell fitted a sort of "snitch box" to its vans that recorded the speed and also let out a warning tone. I was being ferried back from Osubi one evening, when that rapid African night was dropping fast, yet we still were driving without lights. When I asked the driver what was up, he explained that the box sensed when the headlights were turned on, triggering at a speed lower than when they were off. So, lights off, ten km/h faster! "The Law of Unintended Consequences .... "

We enjoyed toppest security at Port Harcourt NAF Base, Monday through Friday. Saturdays and Sundays, though, we were on our own! (Given what happened to Sharky that weekend he went away to take some involuntary time off in the swamp, this may have been for the best.)

One hot afternoon at the NAF Base I was sat slumped in the driver's seat of my Twotter, brooding as usual on the course of my flying career and why the World's Greatest Pilot was stuck there instead of becoming a Dornier 328 pilot. Then I felt the aircraft shift a bit on its gear, followed by a "Peeeep, peeeep" noise coming from the back of the cabin.

When I looked over my shoulder, there was our security guard with his metal detector, starting to check that each and every seat frame was indeed made of Canada's finest steel. When he saw me watching his f*ckwittery he gave an embarrassed smile and made himself scarce.