PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Swing the lamp, pull up a sandbag.
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2016, 03:38
John Eacott

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
This is currently an extension of the tales of yore being related on the Nigeria thread, so I guess a couple of non-Bristow anecdotes wouldn't go astray.

It was always a cause of interest when I'd see cars on the road in Warri with the new-fangled hazard flashers going. Eventually the company driver explained that we were 'no go left right', i.e. straight on at a crossroad. You just have to accept that logic, along with wipers being put on when on a dirt road to keep the stones off the windshield.

ACN operated Allouettes and one Puma. One of the float equipped AL3s was known for its leaking float, and after an unscheduled overnight on a platform the inevitable padding on startup resulted in the TR driveshaft being severed. After some preparation the Puma arrived and hooked up the AL3 for a sling back to Port Harcourt, but our French ace departed with verve and panache. Passing 500' the sling load was in formation, alternately to port then starboard so Steve B in the back offered some gratuitous advice which resulted in the load being pickled and a left turn to PH, without even waiting to watch the splash.

When the boat reached the floating wreck they had the presence of mind to remove the data plate before it tragically sank, so in due course an insurance claim was submitted for the hull value.

Some time later the insurance chappy arrived back at Schreiners to present a cheque for the claim, but needed a couple of pertinent details such as the weight of the AL3. Perplexed, the weight was researched and a calculator then drawn out of the IC's briefcase and a cheque then handed over for about $US5,000.

Underslung load rates @ $5.50 per kilo!