PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 26yr old Captain - 19yr old Co-Pilot
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2016, 01:00
swingstate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm commenting on this article from a standpoint of someone who has been in her shoes(ish).

I attained command on the 737NG with a well known European LCC at the age of 24 and at present I have about 3500 hours as PIC to my name with a total 6500 hours at the age of 28.

At certain times in my early career as a captain I have operated flights where the combined flight crew experience did not exceed 45 years of age and 4000 fight hours total. Coincidentally, I have at the age of 24, once or twice, been the oldest crew member on board the aircraft.

I can't make any assumptions on how those facts would be perceived by passengers should they be aware of those numbers.

Looking back at the past four years however I can say, without a doubt, the biggest challenges faced by myself as a commander have been of a human nature.

The practice of operating aircraft, again in my personal opinion, comes down to the application of knowledge and skills. Your success here is directly proportional to how hard one works at improving these skills.

But human interaction is a whole different animal altogether. Conflict resolution, leadership, communication, cultural differences, ageism, the game of tug between empathy and duty, just to name a few things. Every interaction with another human being is unique and the strongest challenges might pop up at the most unexpected moment.

There certainly have been times where I have felt out of my depth due to a lack of life experience. You make mistakes and you learn from them.