PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 26yr old Captain - 19yr old Co-Pilot
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2016, 19:11
Chronus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pace
I agree on the experience thing but they will get that pretty quickly flying 4 sector days in a mass of weather also flying as an FO they will experience a lot of the decisions and conditions flying with other Captains

The Hudson event ? I think 99% of pilots given the built up area would have taken to the river a successful outcome being part skill part luck ))
With all due respect PACE, I really do think if you were to read Sully`s book "Highest Duty ", am sure it will give you a greater understanding of what it means to be a Captain. I am not sure if I am permitted to quote a little from his book, but I will chance it and let the moderator decide.

" With authority comes greater responsibility. A captain needs leadership skills to take individuals on his crew and make them feel and perform like a team. It`s a heavy professional burden on the captain to know he may be called upon to tap into the depths of his experience, the breadth of his knowledge, and his ability to think quickly, weighing everything he knows while accounting for what he cannot know."

By the way, my understanding of the book is that it is not about the so called "Miracle on the Hudson". It is all about what it takes, what it means to be a pilot in command of an aircraft. The title of the book is wholly appropriate.

You think 99% of pilots would have gone for the river as this was the Hobson`s choice and that the ingredients for the successful outcome included luck. Millions believe in luck and for that they bet on the lottery every week. Do they all become overnight millionaires. Do you think Sully bet on luck. The weather conditions were not adverse, it was not night, there was no fire, it did not happen at a lower altitude, it happened precisely at the right time and at the right place. All so conveniently ordered and arranged by the crones of fate who had decreed luck for Sully, his crew and passengers.
I think the only lucky thing for all concerned, in the aircraft and on the ground was Sully in the left seat. A man of great integrity, sound judgement and great experience, completely devoted to his profession as a pilot.
I think all those who aspire to the job should be made to read his book. They will be humbled, just as I was.