PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BASI "Limitations of See & Avoid" ??
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2003, 06:29
NOtimTAMs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CC -

I hope that it's actually the LAW that radios are carried by suitable ACFT above *5000* feet. Of course, gliders are not required to, for example.......I'm also pleased that you have perhaps the luxury of flying in "protected airspace" - it's still not as protected as you think. Perhaps unlike you, there are many folks whose aircraft don't have the performance to stay in CTA at al times.

I'm pleased that you are making the correct calls out of CTA. There's many a call I hear from ACFT in the radar J-curve who are perhaps lulled into complacency by being identified who merely identify a change of level or "ready for descent " or "on descent", and many calls that state they will join way point "echo alpha" for a GPS NPA for aerodrome X (menaingless for anyone who doesn't have there plates out and completely useless for VFR pilots)......that's not alerted see and avoid. And even IF all the "correct" calls are made, there are many places where potential conflicting aircraft at area boundaries will not have heard your call - what are you going to do, mandate calls on up to 3 or for adjacent area frequencies for all potential conflicting traffic?

As for jet and high performance aircraft operating on unalaerted see and avoid - despite the NOTAMs that proclaim large areas of Australia as danger areas for crossing low jet traffic, life still seems to go on as normal on the military LJRs.....

Nonetheless, I still maintain that IFR aircraft OCTA have been crossing VFR levels on unalerted see and avoid for years. Whilst radio procedures may have helped in terminal areas, and while see and avoid I also agree has important limitations, for en-route ACFT below the pressurized levels the big sky probably has had a lot to do with the lack of mid-airs.

Again, estimates for next reporting point en-route - as Niles says, TAAATS has a profile that the ASA folks seen happy to work with, the pilot in command has calculated estimates or intervals for all en-route reporting points taking into account winds/climb speeds, the pilot knows his departure time - I can't see where your problem is. I don't know too many places where I have to give an estimate for a position that I will still be climbing out over, and if I do, again GS from DME or GPS will be sufficient for a quick bit of mental calculation......don't need no FMS. If you're climbing out on a complex SID from a major airport, you're on radar...... I've never needed heads-down for an estimate. If you're too busy flying the plane, "stand-by" is a perfectly acceptable response.

ADS-B - I know, I know, tell me I'm dreamin'. Still be cheaper to distribute these than maintaining/overhauling all those SSR sites, eh?

Again, I'm sick of the VFR bashing - you can fly safely under both sets of rules, and not everyone has the luxury of flying pressurised or jet/turboprop ACFT....or the luxury of 2-crew operations. It's not "US" and "THEM" - we've been co-existing and piots have been crossing over to fly under both sets of rules for years.

Safe flying