PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2016, 15:21
Danny42C

What did you wear in the Great War, Daddy ?

Chugalug - and all our Merry Men (and, maybe, Gals ?), Greetings.

Thanks for the absolution, Chugalug; there are now so many hares running that I don't know where to start, so I won't just yet.

And after years of shameful neglect, I've "bitten the bullet", and sent my old u/s "Starwriter" back for major overhaul. After paying considerably more for repair than the thing cost me in the first place, it is back with me now and rarin' to go. You may recall that I had a whole lot of stuff on floppy disk about my time on the VV, so after I've done a self-refresher on operating it (how quickly we forget), I'll see if I can add anything useful here.

The maddening thing is that, although it's on a MS-DOS system, there's no USB point (were there such things in the late '60s ?) So the only way for me is to print-out from it, scan, and learn how to paste here (don't hold your breath).

To cap all, I'm having a Bad Eye Day (nothing serious, I have Good and Bad Days), so typing is slow and difficult. But I cannot sign off without reference to the marvellous pic (#9405 from ian16th). How that takes me back ! It's iust how we all were ! The Cap SD in the middle looks exactly like ours did, after being crammed into odd corners of cockpits, and repeatedly dunked in 100 octane to clean (this gave them a pleasingly greenish patina). It was only later that we adopted the Aussie "Bush" Hat.

Note the impeccable khaki woolen stockings. What did they have on their feet ? We would bave chaplis ("Jesus" sandals) or desert boots ("brothel-creepers"). Never black shoes (parade wear only). Mostly went mouldy at the bottom of your kitbag.

Danny.

Last edited by Danny42C; 30th Sep 2016 at 14:12. Reason: Typos