PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trainee heli pilot - need advice
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2016, 10:21
WillyPete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was taught about using an object the horizon to keep the correct attitude in the aircraft.
Didn't work for me, especially keeping direction in the hover. I found I was always going from left to right.
So I looked at a signpost that was around my 11 o'clock, with the cockpit centreline frame going through it.

It changed things so quickly for me that the instructor asked "What did you just do?".
I realised that trying to estimate a visual reference in the middle of the large pane in front of me gave it too much "wiggle room" and when it was obvious I was losing my orientation towards it, I already needed to add too much pedal, which affected collective too - giving me double the workload.

Using the vertical frame near the visual reference let me see immediately when I was drifting, requiring much smaller inputs.

As for cyclic, stiffness was my issue. Tensing up loads in the shoulder. Having the doors off helped, being broad shouldered. I found the door lock prevented me pulling my arm back enough to be comfortable.
Make sure your ass is in the seat. I mean it literally, make your bum relax into the seat and the rest will follow.
Also try not gripping the cyclic too hard. I found thumb and forefinger was enough to provide control, any more and I tended to stiffen the forearm and wrist. You can actually hold it like a pencil for much more fine control.
Remember, it's a massive gyroscope, it "wants" to stay level.