PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eva Air, Taiwan
Thread: Eva Air, Taiwan
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2016, 01:09
152HEAVY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by typhoonpilot
They can't keep pilots for very long. Expats rarely last more than a few years. In the past they were a good stepping stone to better jobs. Guys went to them with low time and then went on to Emirates or another better airline.

Even local pilots are leaving Taiwanese carriers for the mainland because Taiwanese carriers do not pay well and give less time off than the mainland carriers do to expats. Taiwanese pilots can go to the mainland at close to double their salary and have more time off at home in Taiwan than by working for CAL and EVA. Why CAL and EVA management can't see that and do something to stem the losses is beyond belief.

I chatted to CAL a couple of years ago about becoming a B777 sim instructor part time since I was living in Taiwan. Me, a B777 TRE with over 6000 hours in type, and you know what they said. They wanted to hire me, but required $10,000 up front for my training costs and then were only going to pay $300/session. See the problem?

TP
Right on the money!
Cost of living in Taiwan is very low (except housing). Airline pilot (starting) salaries are probably 3 or 4 times higher than other jobs. No wonder it is common to see, engineers and even doctors join an ab-initio program. So for the country-standards, pilot pay is very high.
Now, when you compare it with the industry, internationally speaking, that’s a whole different story. Salaries are lower than the average and will never compare with mainland China. For those happy in their comfort zone and living at home (National pilots or expats living in Taiwan)…works great. For those eager to make some extra cash, China is around the corner.
As for retaining their pilots, the main business strategy is the training bonds. High amounts and several years commit you to the company. Nevertheless, with the growing demand for pilots in Asia it will become a challenge for all carriers not only to retain their pilots but to attract qualified ones.