PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB says Delta Pilot Error
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2016, 00:33
UK019

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I look at it this way: The important thing about SOPs is that everyone is doing the same thing, and unless an SOP is clearly ill-designed or unsafe (and one would hope the regulator would have something to say about that) then they usually work well – whatever they are - because they are familiar, ingrained in the airline’s culture and understood by all. As far as I can see, more accidents are caused by a failure to follow the SOPs – again, whatever they are - than by the SOPs themselves.

Some years ago, I was sent for line training on a new type with another operator which used BA SOPs. We were asked to stay on for a month or two after we’d checked out (our aircraft had yet to be delivered) so I got a good exposure. It was just fine thank you very much, and yes, PM selected reverse. Yeah, it was a bit odd at first but I soon became accustomed to it. And although SOPs are not designed for pilots' enjoyment, I did rather like the fact that you got to handle the aircraft on every sector. When I returned to my own airline we adopted our own company SOPs, and that was fine too. As long as everyone is doing the same, whatever the particular protocols and philosophy are, then you know what to expect.