PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sqdn Ldr Ray Hanna AFC*
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2016, 23:29
ericferret

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Hi Littleman

I was at the show as guest of a school friend who's father (Alan Burton) was a flying instructor at the Sherwood Flying club. Part of the day after the show was my first ever flight in G-AVLE a Piper Cherokee. During the show a German Starfighter put in a fine effort which resulted in an irate phone call to the club being answered by Alans wife. When the caller demanded to know if it was one of their aircraft making the noise she replied "I wish it was" before putting the phone down.

We were from Hucknall and the recent loss of that airfield leaves me feeling like an orphan. The amount of time we spent round there as kids!!! Did all this aviation activity as a child lead anywhere? I became an army apprentice aircraft technician at 16 and went on to the airlines and various helicopter operators as a licensed engineer. I am now looking at the back end of a career stretching back over 40 years. Not finished just yet. I note that AVLE is still registered although not flying.

I have also remembered that Silk Engineering had a couple of their Silk Scott motorcycles on display at the show that means that it had to be 71 or 72. Unlikely to be 72 as that was my O level year and I was in the army by September.

Nice that we both have a shared memory of a great day and fine pilot.

Last edited by ericferret; 29th Sep 2016 at 08:46.