PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2016, 17:15
pulse1

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
I would like to think if this saga can be put to bed then there is a chance a much fairer 'emulation' of Amy Johnson's epic voyage can be flown by a British female pilot in a DeHavilland biplane some time in the future.
I have suggested this before but, a fund could be set up and identified as some sort of protest fund which could be made available to finance a genuine attempt to emulate Amy Johnson. All those who are disgusted with everything about Spirit of Artifice could be invited to contribute. The publicity generated by such a scheme would not only help to attract contributions, it would also help to spread the word about TCT. Amanda Harrison, for example, wanted to compete with TCT. Now she could because her attempt would be seen by the world as, not a race as originally hoped, but as a way of showing how the TCT flight was so dishonestly presented and carried out. If Amanda had obtained sufficient sponsorship at the time, her flight would have continually showed up TCT's flight as being so far from Amy Johnson's as to be completely meaningless. The media may have concentrated on the differences and TCT may have been unable to deceive the world as she has.

Having said that, I am beginning to wonder if the sponsors of TCT had put the mockers on any sponsorship for Amanda because they could see how it would show them up. Even if Amanda had failed to get all the way to Sydney, it would have still shown up TCT as a fraud at the time. There would be no awards, no phony wings, the matter would have died a long time ago.