PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Martin Baker to be prosecuted over death of Flt Lt. Sean Cunningham
Old 28th Sep 2016, 15:56
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SPHL,

Thanks for coming back and happy that you disagree - that's what a discussion thread is for. I think that in cases like this there will always be an element of policy and direction - often this is saying no more than 'this is how we are going to do things'. And this will be different across organisations.

In the case of MAA SI reports, I believe that the format currently adopted tends to make the reports less easily readable. This one was typical, with no list (that I could find) of the accident factors - you have to plough through the text to find them.

Hoever, I will try to justify my view of the factors. My reasoning goes like this:

1. The MAA definition of 'Cause' is "the event that led directly to the accident".
2. In my view, the 'accident' was the death of the pilot. He should have survived this ejection - the MAA report says so. Had he survived, this would not have been an accident, probably only an incident.
3. In my view, the 'event' that led directly to the pilot's death was the failure of the drogue shackle to operate correctly. Not, in my view, the inadvertent operation of the seat pan handle.

The reason I have contributed to this thread is the way the report treats the content and application of RTI/Hawk/59. It's my view that had this RTI not been issued in the form it was, the pilot would have survived. Despite the MoD having no safety case for the seat (required to validate the RTI), despite there apparently being no records of how 2 PTs, 22 Gp, 1710 NAS, MB and others discussed and decided on the RTI, the MAA assessed all this as merely an 'other factor'. From my own experience, i cannot understand how anyone would not recognise the significant safety risks posed by dismantling a vital part of the ejection seat every 50 flying hours. I honestly fail to understand why the MAA did not pick up on this as a major contributory factor.

However, the case is now going to proceed, and for my part, I intend to make this my final post on this thread until the verdict is in. Thank you to all those who have replied to my posts with such thoughtfulness and honesty.

I would finish by expressing my sincerest condolences to Flt Lt's Cunningham's family and friends.

Best Regards as ever to all those who serve their country,

Engines