PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2016, 13:14
SATCOS WHIPPING BOY

Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts
My personal thoughts on this are that digging into the financial and legal nuances of these flights is going to get lost in a quagmire of legislation and beyond the scope of this thread...at the moment.

The crux as far as I see it is that TCT has been given awards that, in hindsight, are not justified. If I were to write a citation for an act that warrants recognition based upon what I knew at the time, and it then comes to light that I had/have been misinformed, I would not go back an rewrite the citation to fit the truth but I would simply rescind the award. If the new facts then warrant reward then that is another issue I would have to resolve.

This is where I have difficulty in understanding what HCAP are doing. They propose an award based on some really great piece of aviation derring-do, and when it is brought to their attention that it was not such a fantastic feat after all they should not be re-writing the award to fit the situation. What they should be doing is seeing if the situation justifies an award.

Same with the LAA: They issued an award for the Cape to Goodwood flight, which I understand was accepted by TCT even though she knew the flight was not as "described". Only now do they, the LAA, realise this following the revelations about the London to Sydney flight. Their AGM will be an interesting event and I do hope that common sense prevails and the award is withdrawn; anything less just undermines the award in the future and sends a clear message that spinning a good yarn will get you a reward.

Has there been deliberate deception? I shall let others be the judge of that, but a quick look back at all the histories of the BiaB pages and others clearly shows that someone is actively trying to cover tracks.

As for personal attacks on TCT. She could at many stages of these affairs come clean and made it quite clear that it was not a SOLO flight, using weasily words like SOLE PILOT and failing to correct the many newspaper and event-promotion headlines which perpetuated the myth. She lacks moral fibre and is a fantasist that has been dragged along by the hype and glory. I cannot fault her enthusiasm but that alone does not justify the awards and honorary titles.

TCT is well aware of the discussions going on now, she can put a stop to it by coming clean. She could write to HCAP and simply say that her "journey" is not even close to the same league as Tim Peak and as such would wish to decline that award. Likewise with the LAA, rather than having them waste time discussing a trivial matter she could return the award, ask that her name is removed and apologise for not correcting things earlier.

HCAP and LAA are blameless in this as they, like us, have been hoodwinked.
I don't know how HCAP and LAA awards committees operate but I guess they draw up a short list. The important thing to remember is that there are potentially great people out there who just missed out on getting recognition for their activities because they were pipped-at-the-post by TCT.

Finally, the Honorary rank and degree. Are these justified? Awarded on what grounds? For flying SOLO half-way around the world or for being a very enchanting and inspirational speaker? Certainly enchanting to listen to if the facts are not known, but when you watch her videos knowing what is known now they certainly have far less impact and are perhaps more suited to Jackanory. Inspirational? No, unless you want people to aspire to misleading the world in believing fiction is fact.

SWB

ps, I forgot to mention the FAA brevet. When did that become part of the image and on whose authority is it worn?