PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Calling Nick Lappos - Blade Stall
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2016, 10:10
dClbydalpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AnFI - You are correct that each point can be considered separately and then integrated. I suggest you try carrying out the integration, taking chord elements along the blade from root to tip, and post the equation that results. Sorry if I am telling you something you already know, but to start it is easier if you assume a constant chord/aerofoil and the ideal twist to give you a uniform downwash. Concentrate on the change in alpha along the blade as the tangential velocity changes with respect to the induced velocity. The equation you post, if correct, will tell you why I say that your overall assertion is only valid at a point and therefore why it cannot be applied to the rotor.

Centripetal v Centrifugal is not nitpicking, they are not colloquialisms, it is engineering terminology. Centripetal is a tendency to cause movement towards a centre. Centrifugal is a tendency to cause movement away from a centre. The definition is in the Latin name, centre-seeking and centre-fleeing. The two must not be confused, a movement of the blade CG toward the centre would add to and not oppose the lift. While physics tells us that centrifugal force is a "false" force, it is actually an inertia effect seen in a Newtonian frame of reference. It accepts that it is perfectly valid to calculate within a non-Newtonian frame of reference, such as one in constant rotational motion. In this case "false" forces become relevant and directly usable. It is much more convenient for certain rotor calculations to work in such a frame as it simplifies a number of equations, and as such the terminology is crucial to establish what is being worked with so a particular calculation doesn't cross frames of reference. Of course some who practice engineering experience this regularly, and some even have to work with a Newtonian, a constant rotation, and a relativistic view of the universe all in the one system.

But back to the original post. I assert that once you have calculated the lift along the blade it does not simplify to a direct relationship between stall and coning that can be applied generally, even for a simple rotor in hover, let alone one that employs varying aerofoils, varying chords, non-linear twist, that is translating as well as rotating.