PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - internet synchronisation of events
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2016, 20:21
rans6andrew

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
internet synchronisation of events

My bank has provided me with a smartphone app to perform some account security stuff. Basically the app generates a transaction code which is then keyed into another computer/device being used to access my account website. The generated number is only valid for 30 seconds.

My query is just how closely are the time stamps on the app, which presumably could be using the phone network or be via a wireless internet link, and the web page, which is almost certain to be via an internet connection, tied to synchronisation?

The reason I ask is that I happened to be viewing a live view webcam on two devices earlier today. The on screen clock shown in the banner at the top of the viewers was showing a time difference of 24 seconds. The two devices were both getting their connection to the internet through the same wireless router. 24 seconds seems to be a lot of difference in signal delay for something which is about 200 miles from me, as the crow flies.

Given this time difference possibility, will I be in trouble with access to my bank account security if I try to log in from a very slow/poor internet (like we get in our holiday accommodation).

I can't use my phone to provide a personal hotspot for the netbook to access my account and, at the same time run the app for the security code so the two are bound to be using different connection paths/delays.