PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2016, 17:52
Fareastdriver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Any of you multi engine multi crew chaps (who saw it) like to comment on the CRM aspect of "Air Crash
The 'Captain' of the aircraft that required total obedience from his crew died off in the Western world about thirty years ago. Not because of this particular accident but a combination of accidents and near misses internationally.

My initial time in the V Force was blighted by one of these but fortunately he was replaced by somebody more human who was prepared to admit that I was better at cross wind landings than he was.

In my particular civil world it was being infused into our system in the eighties and I supported it entirely/. Being a lazy sod it easier for the co-pilot, who had just done the course, to sort out any slight problems with the aircraft.

When I arrived in China the culture was completely different. The custom was that 1st Officers were strictly 'yes' men and the flight proceeded as the captain desired. A part of my job was to instil a western oriented attitude for the whole crew. This would sometimes get an incredulous response when you asked what they would do in the present circumstances.

It took time, not always successful. We would hear stories of disasters being avoided by pure luck with an old Chinese captain in charge but they have all retired by now.

The present set up and attitude of the aircrew of my previous operation in China can hold there own with the best in the world. I was part of their training and I am proud of it.