PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2016, 15:47
Whizz Bang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ACW VGL
I don't think the changes are anything to do with ordering people about or training-day pay, rather post Haddon-Cave perceptions. The loss of three cadets in two AEF accidents was a watershed, generating a corporate fear that any repeat would cause the service to lose its aviation authority. I have seen other 'Write a service paper about X. I don't care what you write but the conclusion is this...' moments and this all smacks of that. The desired end state is being rolled out - fewer schools, with more visible supervision, all-uniformed staff, far fewer opportunities for cadets to fly and very rarely solo. I recently had a conversation with one of the safety engineer consultants that reviewed the safety management processes at the DT. He recollected Vigilant door opening as a prime example of safety processes not being enacted. Am I imagining signals from Syerston the VGS promulgating an additional captain's check of the trainee's door, to be reminded at every morning brief, pending a revision the FRCs, which were subsequently amended as expected.
My conclusion comes from my perception of the main personality involved; the carrot to dangle as an incentive and the stick to enforce his will.

I've not seen any evidence of his comprehension of the volunteer, their motivation nor any of the excellent points made above regarding the wider impact of, what was, an exceptionally good value for money system.

There was certainly more competent supervision at grass roots level by the 'amateurs' who also had full time jobs. Visible doesn't equal effective.