PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 26yr old Captain - 19yr old Co-Pilot
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2016, 08:42
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I am sure they are both very competent at what they do, and that it is all fine . It makes perfect PR ( read and enjoy the article again slowly ) but is it really wise to pair those 2 like this and expose them to media ?
Leaving school at 17 to go into aviation college and ending up after 2 years of Aviation theory and simulator hours to become the F/0 of an A320 , is technically OK, but putting him under the supervision of a 5 years older Capt with the same cursus ?

I know in Vietnam lots of 19 years old kids flew dangerous combat missions , but that was deliberate ,as at this age one does not ask questions when told to drop napalm on targets if they were civilians around. You do not need experience to do that just technical knowledge. Needs something else to command an airliner with 100+ civilian pax in the back when things starts to go wrong .My view at least.

PS for Jonty : You are right .I was ( like many of us here I guess) "Captain" of a 4 seater at 18, but continued to study and learn. Still learning everyday since... Better pilot technically 50 years later? , maybe a bit, but not that much, but smelling a rat miles ahead and able to say No, you bet !

Last edited by ATC Watcher; 27th Sep 2016 at 08:53. Reason: addition