PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2016, 21:37
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
With all respect, Vilas, training has almost certainly improved since AF447 data was revealed.

Instrumentation might also have been improved, but the basic cause of the crash was aircrew error. Control inputs were a factor. Stall recognition was a factor. The 'bus FBW degredation modes were a factor. It was a perfect storm.

The AvWeek thread about AoA is a lot less thoughtful than here.

I was and still am convinced that some AoA indication could have helped AF447 even if the sucker had a red flag saying it was unreliable. The jet did not instantly go into a deeply stalled condition, and apparently the AoA sensors were valid until the jet got very slow or the AoA was far in excess of what was designed.

As most here know, ya gotta use all the indicators and sensors you have available.

As one of the AvWeek references makes some good points about speed and AoA, I am here to add to his examples. I had a rainy night landing in my A-7D and once the flap handle was down and the speed versus AoA looked good I followed the AoA bracket and the indexers ( we had the Navy-style HUD). Bad news was that the flap handle had a "beep" function once "around the horn". So you could stop full deployment of the trailing edge flaps. Dunno why, but that night I inadvertantly bumped the handle and my trailing edge flaps were about half or less than desired. The AoA bracket looked good, and the leading edge flaps had deployed per the book. I was going maybe 15 or so knots too fast!!!

I had anti-skid cycling and finally lowered the hook to take the cable at far end of the runway. Lesson learned!!! Cross check all the gauges and there's no serious penalty for a "bolter" whether on a boat or a 9,000 foot runway.

I later flew the first fully FBW jet as most here know. Our AoA display was only there with the gear handle down, although the flight control computers used multiple AoA sensors to keep the pointy end forward all the time.

I really like the AoA for approaches once cross checking with estimate of speed for weight and such. My Sluf barrier exercise made that a rigid entry on the mental check list.

I like the idea of an aural warning of the AoA, but seems the 'bus has a lotta aural stuff already, ya think?