PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eva Air, Taiwan
Thread: Eva Air, Taiwan
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2016, 15:31
typhoonpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know much about EVA…don't hear very much about them but I'm aware they've been around for a long time...didn't read this entire thread but it goes back to 2012. I see they have their own dedicated training academy in the USA (didn't know that…they're currently looking for CFIs):

"EVA Flight Training Academy provides training primarily for EVA Air’s Cadets."

Homepage - EVA Flight Training Academy

Well, why is EVA advertising for FOs if they've got their own system/pipeline to create them ?

Not enough people apply to their academy ?

If that's the case, what are they doing about it ?:

They can't keep pilots for very long. Expats rarely last more than a few years. In the past they were a good stepping stone to better jobs. Guys went to them with low time and then went on to Emirates or another better airline.

Even local pilots are leaving Taiwanese carriers for the mainland because Taiwanese carriers do not pay well and give less time off than the mainland carriers do to expats. Taiwanese pilots can go to the mainland at close to double their salary and have more time off at home in Taiwan than by working for CAL and EVA. Why CAL and EVA management can't see that and do something to stem the losses is beyond belief.

I chatted to CAL a couple of years ago about becoming a B777 sim instructor part time since I was living in Taiwan. Me, a B777 TRE with over 6000 hours in type, and you know what they said. They wanted to hire me, but required $10,000 up front for my training costs and then were only going to pay $300/session. See the problem?

TP