PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stuck thrust lever B733 sim scenario
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2003, 00:29
Capt Pit Bull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'v had stuck thrust levers on 3 different occaisions, on 2 different types (ATR and Avro RJ).

So its by no means a 'silly ******' scenario, Hudson!

Shut it down or not?

Lots of different factors to go into the melting pot.... I won't insult everyone by listing them, but here is one that is well worth considering:

Its highly likely to be caused by moisture ingress to the control run. This was the cause of all 3 jams, we kept the engine running, and regained thrust lever / throttle movement eventually during the descent.

The RJ actually has a procedure for it; basically engine / airframe anti ice on for the affected wing / pylon, to get as much hot air moving around as possible and try and thaw things out. It does eventually lead you down the path of shutting the engine down if movement is not regained... however, thats a 4 engined aircraft.

Incidentally, though its not part of the original question, can I offer up the following generalised point for everyones consideration?

Do not make the mistake of thinking that shutting down the engine will just give you a simple assymetric approach and landing.

It MAY do... but the odds are, depending on the type of aircraft and what position the lever is stuck in, that there will be some system interlock complications.

For example, will you be able to select reverse? Will ground spoilers auto deploy? Will you be able to use the airbrake to manage your descent? Will autobrakes work? If not, they are all manageable issues, but I would think everyone would agree that forewarned about them would be a great help.

For example, sitting in the cruise over France, as we worked through the depths of the flight manual to find the procedure a plan was already forming in my head... 'its probably frozen, it'll probably thaw, we'll just start descent a bit earlier than usual and use handfuls of airbrake if we need it'. Excellent basic plan, with 1 minor drawback... it was rubbish! With number 1 or 4 Thrust lever forward of ((some number I forget now)) Throttle quadrant angle, airbrake is inhibited on the RJ. Since engine 1 throttle was jammed, airbrake just wasn't going to happen.

So I guess what I'm saying is nothing is simple! When it comes down to it, how well do you really know your type?

Anyhow, lets be careful up there....

CPB