PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 457 visa FOs started at QantasLink
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2016, 06:36
Dark Knight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
`457 visa holders CAN NOT be paid less than an Australian doing the same job/company - people that don't get this will never understand anything.’

I have not mentioned anything about payment however, similar to all the other Legislation/Rules quoted/cut & pasted the rules are as equally specific: aliens granted a 457 Visa shall not be paid less than an Australian citizen and there should be in place workplace agreements.

In accepting and quoting the Legislation/rules about payment as they are writ why then are all the other Legislation/rules not accepted as writ?

Selective discussion ploy

`Current laws and policy are what must be followed - not wishes or intentions of how law was meant to work in practice’

Have I argued anything but? All I have quoted is essentially a direct cut & paste from the Department – intention, wishes is exactly what you have argued due to disagreement with application of the law or results of application of the law or rules.

`The law is fine but it is policy that needs changing to include wording similar to that of Fiji I posted before. I seem to remember special equipment assumedly with persons to operate them were flown in for the rescue at Beaconsfield will still need an out clause for some things. ‘

Totally irrelevant: What the laws are in other countries has no bearing upon the laws here: equally the Beaconsfield illustration is irrelevant – a special case covered under entirely different Legislation/Rule – another diversionary tactic.

`when a system is abused, attempted to be rorted or circumvented by unscrupulous employers’

This is precisely what is happening not just in QL but other companies/employers within the Australian aviation industry: any employer can set about devising a plausible ruse to circumvent this legislation and unless exposed and investigated Australian citizens are seriously disadvantaged within their own Country.

I will say it again:

The 457 Visa system is specifically designed to allow an employer to source workers from overseas where it can be positively established and shown such workers are not available within Australia. Additionally it should be shown training programs are in place to train qualified Australians to fill any positions.

To participate and use this system it is incumbent upon an employer to meet with specified obligations ensuring no Australian citizen is disadvantaged or the working conditions/salary are not significantly less than would/should be available to an Australian citizen.

There is no dispute or argument the 457 Visa process is a legitimate procedure; it is well understood this contributes to ensure positive growth and progress within Australian industry however, when a system is abused, attempted to be rorted or circumvented by unscrupulous employers with Australian Citizens seriously disadvantaged in their Home country it is incumbent upon the relevant Federal Government Department or regulatory authority to comprehensively, forensically investigate such industry and take full, proper, positive, prompt action.

If Australian citizens e.g. in this case pilots (including Bal), are not prepared to stand to ensuring the Parliament, their elected representatives fully protect Australian Citizens, protect Australian jobs then the total system will break down, there will be not be employment protection of any type.

An open door policy will prevail which has already demonstrated the significant disastrous economic cost.

It is your employment in peril!