PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aviation Project
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2016, 20:31
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Does Heathrow deserve the new runway over Gatwick
THAT is a hornet's nest and, frankly, I'd say keep it as a point to the future - since it may not ever happen. The more interesting story is why extra capacity in the South East has not been provided in the last 40 years. To ask if it SHOULD be or WHY it should be is a million word project!

What little I know about Dissertations is that you need to be able to illustrate your topic and reference your information. The London runway debate just goes round in circles for 40 years and all the action happened in SOU, BRS, BRX, MAN, EDI, GLA, LPL and more. Use your first topic to discuss LHR/LGW and how the lack of capacity has driven the expansion of the regional airports and, consequently, the LCCs. Tackling LHR/LGW will send you crazy

In this forum there are many historical threads about it if you use the Advanced Seach function carefully. Nowadays the debate/arguments have gone into the main LGW+LHR threads. I'd agree with others that the topics you have indicated are more than enough to cover and, they all have a long history of action - one way or another. The story of LHR-R3 or LGW-R2 is a history of inaction!!

In particular, I think you have a really interesting point on the New Aircraft and how they have affected the business - for everyone. This thread: http://www.pprune.org/aviation-histo...day-146-a.html
starts with the 146 but goes on to discuss the other new types that helped to unseat it and that will give you some good pointers to where action has happened.

Your four points all have history and many companies involved, making the task easier. (Not that students should have it easy, of course. Now go back to your attic and start writing)

Last edited by PAXboy; 27th Sep 2016 at 00:01. Reason: typos