PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2016, 16:10
Danny42C

Box Brownie (pp John Dunbar DFC (RIP) #9361),
...At Bombay nobody was expecting us and they knew nothing about us...
Standard form of reception at any new place, familiar to all servicemen. Not to worry !
...I spoke to a senior officer...
Now John is taking shape before us. Haven't we all known "Johns" ? - The Leading Man, the one who is always the spokesman for the others, the Volunteer (in the face of all good advice to the contrary), the one who always "sticks his neck out", the Tall Poppy who gets lopped first...

And the one who "leads with his chin" - viz his bearding of the (Canadian) Group Captain in his lair. How come he wasn't put under arrest on the spot for insubordination ? - it can only be that sheer astonishment had shocked the Station Commander into (temporary) submission.

John, have a care ! You are on thin ice ! Learn to "keep your head down", "Maintain a low profile", "Blend into the scenery" - otherwise it will not go well with you. It will be a case of "This young man will go far !"...."The further, the better !"...."He should start at once !"
...no one would talk to me! I was sent to Coventry. Not only had I got them back on instructing, but they were to instruct in the Indan Air Force...
And quite right, too. Him and his big mouth ! Why does he never learn ? Now look what's happened ! (I fear for John).

And: "Be careful what you wish for - you might get it !"

Danny.