PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aviation Project
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2016, 13:24
racedo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Economic effects of LCC on an area.

Posted on this before but many many places across Europe has airports which were chronically underused pre LCC

LCC has opened up these areas to Tourism and Economic development.

I have come across many Small businesses across Europe who could never hope to trade outside of local area. This was because few if any flights to anywhere other than Capital city, cost of travelling in time and money was prohibitive.

Tourism into an area is a big economic multiplier in jobs and cash.

Ax example was a small engineering manufacturer in Southern France who kept it small, when flights opened up to Carcasonne he was able to get to UK and back quickly and cheaply. As a result he started offering products in UK, so could get there and back in a day at a small cost. Able to take on 2-3 people locally as a result.

I know Astra Zeneca adored the Ryanair flights when they went from Stansted to Kristianstad in Sweden as their HQ in UK was Luton and Lund in Sweden.

A friend trasnferred across there and reckoned on a weekly basis Astra Zeneca had minimum of 100 (200 legs) people flying back and forward.
As turns out she was single met a lad from Cambridgeshire when she on a conference in Portugal, he on holidays. A holiday fling turned out a lot more because they travelled back and forward for 2 years before marrying.................. now live in Southern Hemisphere.
Pre LCC it was impossible both logictically and financially.

Phillips in Eindhoven I believe were supporters of flights to certain places in UK as well over the years.