PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A chat with a Buccaneer nav
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2016, 09:48
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Fascinating to listen to David Herriot describing his thoughts and recollections, principally about the Buccaneer of course. It illustrated well the strengths and weaknesses of the format in my view. Yes, you get the word direct from the horse's mouth as it were, but that word is necessarily off the top of his head (must bail out of these conflicting mixed metaphors now!) and much gets missed out or is even misspoken.

We have the ultimate medium here on PPRuNe I think. Threads such as "Obtaining an RAF Pilots Brevet in WWII" and the like are a gold mine of direct evidence for future historians to excavate (Oh God, it's happening again!).

Don't get me wrong, OP. You are capturing memories that might otherwise go unrecorded and offering them in an easily accessible way, so well done and thank you! But I'm sure that you agree that the more there is then the better. In that regard I'm pleased that DH is think of writing his own memoirs, if only for the sake of his family history. That is where most such memoirs begin, but in these days of digital media we are all in a sense a part of that family now.