PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Barwon Heads Refuses FunFlight
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2016, 07:26
Sunfish

Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts
olm8, you protest too much. Judging by the facts presented here and your response to them, can I be forgiven for thinking that this operation is totally private - run for the benefit of people unknown who would rather not have any outsiders, let alone the general public, make use of their playpen? That includes such charity events as fun flight. Your comment about the motives of Geelong aeroclub members "filling their tanks in return for a quick joy flight" is just plain mean and worthy of Ebenezer Scrooge.

The writings of the airport information and terms and conditions on the website remind me of the scribbling of the proverbial East German border guard. While i liked the implied threat in the form of audio and camera recordings, I especially liked the claim about payment for any aviation activity within 1nm of the field and the mandatory 'administration charge" of $50.00 "if we have to chase you for money" is laughable in its illegality. In fact such threats are counter productive to safety as they may encourage some pilots overflying not to make radio transmissions in the vicinity of your field.

Rest assured I won't be visiting although I will make a point of overflying should I do a scenic flight down that way. I will also make it a talking point - least memorable airstrips, when in suitable company.

P.S. The Geelong advertiser article is factually incorrect:

Barwon Heads Airport is the only public use general aviation airfield on the Bellarine Peninsula and is Geelong’s only general aviation airfield.
it obviously isn't public and general if it is PPR. I fail to understand how a private, commercial operation can qualify for a government grant. I wonder if the auditor general might explain this to me?

To put this another way, unlike any other airport i can think of, it sounds to me like Barwon Heads airport would be no loss to aviation and a great benefit to the community if it was redeveloped as a housing estate.

Last edited by Sunfish; 25th Sep 2016 at 07:59.