PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Former RAF Church Fenton
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2016, 13:42
V_2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
To be fair, given the choice from scratch between "Yeadon Airfield" and RAF C Fenton for the site for a commercial airfield to serve Leeds and the wider Yorkshire catchment, I think C Fenton wins every time, for many of the reasons that Leeds Approach and others have highlighted before so I won't bother listing them again.

(I lived for 3 years in Headingley regularly visiting LBA, and also for 2.5 years I was actually based at RAF Church Fenton, so am hopefully well qualified to make this assessment. Ask yourself why the RAF left Yeadon all those years ago and kept Church Fenton in the first place!)

However, given the fact that LBA is well developed now, a transfer to "Leeds East" just isn't going to happen. Money talks. Besides LBA works well for basic buisness and sunshine routes, and if you want wider options, connecting via LHR or train to MAN seems to work well for most. And finally not sure LBA is too bothered about having a train station because at present they collect lots of revenue from drop off fees instead?