View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2016, 10:41
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 429 Likes on 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Hughesy
Yeah I know that ShyTorque.

I got it in Canada, that we (kiwis) are cowboys.
I got wind of it from Aussies in PNG that we (kiwis) are cowboys.

My point is...we don't all fly like that. Like not all pilots are perfect overseas.
Hughesy,

Unfortunately you are in the position of reaping what others before you have sown.
I note you would have been just 17 when I visited your beautiful country and saw first hand what concerned me. It wasn't "corners being cut" just plain stupidity and in one case, two pilots were showing off and unnecessarily putting tourist passenger lives at risk, presumably for the sake of providing "extra thrills".

It wasn't just the rotary wing world, either. The owner of the accommodation we used on South Island kept encouraging me to take my young kids on a jet boat ride on the partly frozen river. I replied that I considered it far too risky, having watched what was going on, especially as the water was freezing and my kids weren't even in their teens at that time. I wouldn't take my kids on the boat because they were driving right at rocks on the bank and veering away at the last second. Extra thrills?

I received some scorn over that, two days running but he had nothing to say on the third day when the local jet boat people killed a young woman visiting NZ on her honeymoon. The boat hit a rocky outcrop and she got thrown out. They couldn't get this poor woman out of the undertow and she drowned in front of her new husband. They eventually had to use an earth mover to dig out a ramp and a cutting into the river bank to get her body out.

http://www.taic.org.nz/LinkClick.asp...language=en-US

BTW, given chance, I would have stayed in NZ because I loved the place!