PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2016, 17:25
Danny42C

MPN11 (your #9329),

Poking about on Google, seems that the often quoted military advice: "Get there fustent with the mostest !", which I attributed to a General "Stonewall" Jackson somewhere here, was really spoken by a General Nathan Forrest of the Confederate Army (just thought I'd mention it !)

From Nov-Dec 1941, I was at Gunter Field (Montgomery, ALA). Montgomery is the State Capital and they call it: "The Cradle of the Confederacy". We quickly learned that the Civil War was far from over; the usual reference to their Northern cousins was: "Those Goddam Yankees". The annual "Blue v Grey" Football game put Celtic/Rangers in the shade for mayhem - and anyone heard humming or whistling "Marching through Georgia" would be lucky to escape with his life !

[From Wiki]:
...and an English town mistakenly thought the tune was appropriate to welcome southern American troops in World War II.....
Oops !

Totting-up Wiki figures, it apperars that the total of Army deaths in the Civil War (estimated as 750K) exceeds the total in all US wars since (633k - my tot from Wiki figures), which shows what an yet unheald wound it has inflicted on the American spiritual psyche..

D.