PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Co-Pilot Instrument Rating
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2003, 18:00
ITCZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you think getting a job flying MEIFR rhs is a good move, I agree one hundred percent.

A few guys at Airnorth got an excellent start as 'caravan coeys' and my captain on todays trip got his start as a rhs in a Twotter.

It makes a lot of sense for a new-ish CPL to get their first experience in company with an older/wiser/more experienced head in the same cockpit. Great idea.

What I am saying goes something like this:

When i came up for a Metro FO job (it seems so long ago) I was presented with the 'choice' of paying for an FO endorsement $3,500 or a command endorsement $5,000. As it turned out we got bonds with no out of pocket expense. But for a few days there I was looking at a significant cost for a poor C210 pilot that had $1000 in the bank.

But -- down the track an FO to CMD upgrade would cost someone about $2,500. So an INITIALLY cheaper FO course would EVENTUALLY cost more than if I chose the CMD from the outset, AND I had a much more useful and thorough qualification two years earlier than if I had chosen the FO course only.

That's what I am on about.

However, your choice, VIS. Enjoy the new task.