PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB says Delta Pilot Error
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2016, 15:52
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So there you are on a CAVOK day drifting down into quiet skies for a downwind visual join CDA to a spool up at 1000' in the slot intercepting finals. Lovely & Rewarding. You've been thinking ahead and planning what to do after VNAV has placed you where you want to be at 10,000 even as low as 5000'. Perhaps you wanted to hand fly from 10,000. In the case where the other chappie is going to takeover and kiss the ground where is the point of handover? Surely it should then be TOD. IT also makes for an interesting brief. The GA could be made by either pilot, but executed by only 1. Who briefs it?
Monitored approaches on dodgy days could be better & appropriate; depends on the dogdiness. Monitored approaches on clear days does seem open to discussion. I can well understand some will that it allows for early correction of hot/high approaches as the other chap is not going to out the a/c where you want it to make your greaser on the white patches; shades of B737 off the end in india, and TSL, & glide medium fall landing in Sweden come to mind where PM (F/O) was not assertive enough to stop the prang & near prang, all occurring in good weather.
I suspect there will remain 2 camps; reason being only the minority will have sampled both options.