PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Taildragger three point vs wheel landings - Cultural?
Old 22nd Sep 2016, 12:03
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The distance between the mono main-wheel and the steerable tailwheel is short in the early version, which can result in quick excursions left or right during the landing roll as the speed reduces and the rudder loses effectiveness.
Yes, this I can imagine. As speed slows, something effective must take over from the rudder for steering. As I think more about this topic, I experiment with different planes I fly. My C 150 can be taxiied at slow speed with the nosewheel off the ground. In doing so, steering is just fine, though it is only the rudder providing that control. Similarly, the 182 amphibian I fly can be fast taxiied rudder only with sufficient airflow over the rudder. You can really feel the difference while taxiing or rolling out from landing, when the plane slows, and you throttle to idle. without the speed or prop wash, suddenly the rudder is ineffective. The DC-3 does not have tailwheel steering, and it's brakes are not really fast acting enough for precise steering, without lurching and leaving rubber on the runway. When I was trained on it, I was taught to just really focus on making the rudder work effectively as much as possible.

But it takes me back to my preference for wheel landing when the type and configuration will allow it, knowing that the tailwheel steering is doing little anyway at any speed at which the tail can be held off.