PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Inspirational jaguar pilot story
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2003, 16:46
Mowgli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Workinghard - to answer your last question - you'd have to ask AIBB - they're experts in that sort of thing - as far as ADR trace (from an earlier reply from someone)- there wasn't one.

I think it's sad that this thread has gone this way. The title suggests a thread about an inspirational pilot, but has deteriorated into an unqualified investigation into who's to blame for what was a tragic accident.

There was an inquiry, conducted by experts, and there were lessons for all of us to learn.

These guys were unlucky, but the Cessna pilot had shortened the odds. Good airmanship would require the Cessna captain to notify his intentions through CANPs, and to take a crewmember or photographer - whatever - one flies and looksout while the other takes the photos.

All of these things could have been done, but that still doesn't stop aircraft hitting each other - it just reduces the chances. If you've heard of Dr James Reason's accident model you'll know what I mean.

There are no 100% guarantees. As a fellw aviator said to me recently "All you need to remember is - don't hit anything."

Respect to all who died in this accident.

Workinghard - Just let it rest will you? You say you don't want to apportion blame, so why did you bring it up in the first place? No one expected the Cessna pilot to see an aircraft in his 7 o clock, but it was still a failure that led to an accident. Accidents rarely happen through just one "failure". The human eye as Beagle has alluded to is poor at detecting small objects which have zero relative movement.

Lessons have been learnt, and I'm sure Workinghard displays excellent airmanship.

This was an inspirational story.

Last edited by Mowgli; 5th Aug 2003 at 17:01.