PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2016, 23:10
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Box Brownie, a warm welcome from me as well. It is doubly so, for you are telling someone else's story armed only with what was imparted to you. So I only ask the following tentatively with the expectation that you will politely respond that you haven't a clue, and fair enough indeed!

Do you have any details of the path that led him to Theale and of his flying training there? Anything at all about his recruitment, attestation, basic training, and then later of his embarkation to Canada and the completion of Elementary and then to his Advanced Training at Estevan?

As MPN11 and Danny confirm, it is the nitty-gritty that brings the story to life, which is after all about "Gaining an RAF Pilots Brevet in WWII". It seems that you don't have anything recorded along those lines or you would no doubt have started his story at an earlier stage, but perhaps he mentioned in passing some details in conversation? Anything at all will be gratefully received and devoured. We have been spoiled by Danny's amazing feats of memory but can hardly expect such detail from you, so bits and pieces will suffice if possible.

He certainly sounds to be someone who knew his mind, and did so at a very early age. He also must have been incredibly lucky to walk away from a dead-stick night arrival that destroyed the aircraft but left him unscathed. How such an accident didn't rate a Board of Inquiry at which he would have been the primary witness (and suspect?) I have no idea, but perhaps Danny might wish to comment on that.

That he was retained as a Flying Instructor isn't perhaps so surprising given that he had managed to survive the loss of both engines on only his second night solo. So no surprise that he had passed out top of the course and of course no surprise that no-one had thought to tell him! As to the feuding SNCOs and the matter of the cup of tea being of more significance than the loss of one of HM's aircraft, again par for the course?

Thanks again BB, we await your future posts with anticipation. Any padding out will be all the better for it!