PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB says Delta Pilot Error
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2016, 13:47
Pontius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Point taken, but if the CA does the approach until all is stable, when does a new FO (or CA) on type get to learn from his mistakes? Getting burned is part of the learning process, and if you get the plane handed to you on a silver platter, so to speak, when do you learn how NOT to set up for an approach, and how to fix it when you've done it incorrectly?
Normally if the captain was PF on the first sector then the FO would do the approach for the captain's landing. On the next sector (all things being equal, weather etc) the FO would be the PF and the captain would do the approach for the FO's landing. The nice thing about this procedure is you get to have a 'play' on every sector and the FO's still get to practice all the things they'd practice in a non-'monitored' approach i.e. they still get to learn from their mistakes.

If managing thrust is so difficult during the rollout
I don't think anyone is suggesting it's difficult but there may be better ways of using the two pairs of hands available, rather than just one pair doing everything. It was certainly 'different' when I first came across this procedure but it is easy to get used to very quickly and I found I had more capacity to better manage other dynamic events with the help of the guy/guyess in the other seat.

However do military fighter pilots cope with 200 ft decision heights when flying single seat jets....

Perhaps because they don't have any of this headshrinker horse$hit to worry about and are fully capable of 'going visual' after an IMC approach?
Ahh, the dinosaur arrives. Having done both I can assure you that the colleagues with whom I fly are just as capable of 'going visual' after an IMC as I was when I flew single-seat fighter jets. They have to contend with other issues that are not applicable to nimble, agile fighter aircraft and yet they seem to get it done really quite satisfactorily. The fact that you refer to effective management of crew resources as "headshrinker horse$hit" is ample indication of your luddite and old-fashioned views which have little place in modern aviation.